Thanks for the suggestions, all of you!
I first began to think about using somehow permutations of the gtools-package. I will continue utilizing Peter's solution.

My purpose is to divide basic musical rhythm units (whole note, half note, quarter note etc durations) to meaningful entities in algorithmic composition. I use R for that. Usually, there are - in the composition algorithm - random number generators, which "composes" different versions of music. Those RNG's (sample in R) can be - for their part - conducted by using different constraints and probabilities. Here I draw rhythms.

For example, if my quarter note (1/4) is 1024 ticks in MIDI format, I may like to split it into quintuples, ie. five units, using ties differently:

1024*c(1/5, 4/5), 1024*c(2/5, 3/5),... This way I can produce and output rich and still usable rhythms to music notation software, keep the rhythmic entities playable and readable over barlines.

Yours,

Atte