Do you have a simplified example with a code? It is not clear to me
what do you mean by tree but if you refer to tree data structure,
maybe you could change the data structure to tree
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/data.tree/vignettes/data.tree.html)
and try to write comparison of two tree objects. It might be easier
that data.frame alone.