Hi Edna,

I am not sure the completely right answer, but I suspect that you use
data(df) to invoke a data.frame from the sample datasets provided from the
packages available on your R system. By other side, if you have a data.frame
loaded on your environent, you can use "attach" do turn the columns
available on your environment as objects, like this.

my.df<-data.frame(cbind(x=runif(100), y=rnorm(100)))
head(my.df)

plot(y~x)
  #you get error

attach(my.df)
 plot(y~x)
  #you get the plot

detach(my.df) # remove the x,y objects from your environment
 plot(y~x)
  #you get error again.

I hope this help.

Cheers,