On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Paul Heinrich Dietrich wrote:

I would really like to see a good introduction to Emacs, and will check out
that link.  I know that Emacs and ESS are supposed to be the best, and are
the most customizable.  The reason I put the R Commander GUI instead of
Emacs/ESS is because in my first attempt to get R on Ubuntu Linux, I did
successfully get Emacs/ESS working (sadly, I don't remember how exactly),
but found it too frustrating.  Again, I'm sure it's the best in the end, but
here's what was driving me nuts:

Copy/Paste is not Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v...I figured it out, but don't remember
what it is.

That's optional -- you can set CUA if you like that (an item on the Options menu, at least in the Emacs version I looked at). But on an X11 interface, selecting copies and right-click pastes. (Beware, your Windows Manager may also have a separate clipboard.)

Entering a _ automatically creates a <-, and you must enter __ to get _.

That's optional (and I realy think should be off by default now _ as an addignment operator is ancient history). Add

(ess-toggle-underscore nil)

to your .emacs.

There is no "stop" button (hopefully there is one in R Commander, haven't
explored yet).

You'll soon find that buttons are slow compared to keystrokes.

It kept trying to establish a working directory, and was inconsistent in
when it would accept what directory.

'It' being ESS, I guess, There is an ess-help list on which to discuss what you mean there.

I was also looking at the JGS GUI.  Online screenshots look incredible, but
I didn't go with it because it depends on Java, which is not open-source,
and I'm really liking that philosophy, but to each his own.

I presume you mwan JGR. Lots of Java is Open Source, and I beieve JGR may run under OpenJDK.

Thanks for the link, I'm anxious to try to figure out Emacs/ESS. I'll go
look at it now.  Cheers.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk