Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies! This was very helpful! I found that there seems to be a limitation to only 32GB of memory which I think will be fine. I was able to consume the 32GB of memory with the following:
Start R with the following command: R --max-vsize 55000M
then within R run
x=rep(0.1,2.141e9)
and watch the process with top and R will consume about 32GB of memory... Hopefully this will be enough for the researchers ;)

Thanks!
-scz

Scott Zentz wrote:
Hello Everyone,

We have recently purchased a server which has 64GB of memory running a 64bit OS and I have compiled R from source with the following config

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/R-2.9.1 --enable-Rshlib --enable-BLAS-shlib --enable-shared --with-readline --with-iconv --with-x --with-tcktk --with-aqua --with-libpng --with-jpeglib

and I would like to verify that I can use 55GB-60GB of the 64GB of memory within R. Does anyone know how this is possible? Will R be able to access that amount of memory from a single process? I am not an R user myself but I just wanted to test this before I turned the server over to the researchers..

Thanks!
-scz