Greetings, I have a vector of the form:
[10,8,1,3,0,8,NA,NA,NA,NA,2,1,6,NA,NA,NA,0,5,1,9...]  That is, a combination
of sequences of non-missing values and missing values, with each sequence
possibly of a different length.

I'd like to create another vector which will help me pick out the sequences
of non-missing values.  For the example above, this would be:
[1,1,1,1,1,1,NA,NA,NA,NA,2,2,2,NA,NA,NA,3,3,3,3...].  The goal ultimately is
to calculate means separately for each sequence.

Your help is appreciated.  If I'm making this more complicated than
necessary, I'd appreciate knowing that as well!

Many thanks.