I'm working with the nationwide county maps data, and trying to remove the
internal county boundary lines.  The only map() function parameter that I've
found that gets me anywhere close to my desired result leaves small white
segments on parts of the map.  I believe this is due to the low resolution,
because when I look at individual states, the lty parameter solves the
problem.  Does anyone have any idea how I might draw a United States county
map without these white borders making the map look sloppy?

library(maps)

#county map of new jersey, with invisible county borders -- correct example
map("county","new jersey", fill=TRUE , col=palette() , lty=0)

#county map of the united states, with white county borders still visible
some places
map("county", fill=TRUE , col=palette() , lty=0)

Thanks