How can I write text inside a bar of a barplot? I tried using text(), but I
am only able to specify the numeric y-coordinate. The different columns of
my barplot correspond to factors and not numbers, so I don't know how to
access the horizontal positions of the bars. I tried fiddling with different
values of the "adj" argument, but this appears unreliable.

Background: I have created a barplot visualization where the bars represent
the size of different items (e.g. US state populations), and the sub-bars
represent the size of the different sub-components of each item (e.g.
counties). Picture: http://drop.io/hjcodjj/asset/capture-png

I would like to put in a label inside each sub-bar (e.g. indicating the name
of the county represented by that sub-bar).

Rex

p.s.: In case anyone finds this visualization useful I'll share my code
afterward, but just need to get the labeling working properly first.