To: "David Winsemius" <dwinsem...@comcast.net>
Cc: "Steve Sidney" <sbsid...@mweb.co.za>; <r-help@r-project.org>
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: [R] Help using Cast (Text) Version

If you can point me towards a doc that explains this in simple terms I
would be obliged. Don't expect you to have to provide the answer.

Any of the introductory texts should explain the various forms of indexing
and the use of the apply family of functions. They are both central to
effective R programming.

See also the plyr package, http://had.co.nz/plyr, which tries to
provide a more uniform interface to the apply family of functions.
I've also tried to document everything in one place, so hopefully it's
a bit easier to learn and to see how all the different functions fit
together.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/