Hello,

I am trying to write some code in R to communicate over sockets via the
STOMP protocol (http://stomp.codehaus.org/Protocol).

As you can see, a null byte (ASCII 0) is used as the "over" signal.

I'd like to be able to do something like this:

write.socket(socket, "CONNECT\nlogin: me\npasscode: pass\n\n\000")

However, R does not like it when you put "\000" in a string:
>  "\000"
Error: embedded nul in string: '\0'

I thought perhaps that write.socket would automatically send a null byte,
but it doesn't appear to.

I'm getting similar results with socketConnection() and writeLines(). I
thought that writeBin() might be the solution but it gives me:
Error in writeBin(n, con) : can only write to a binary connection

I'm not clear how to make my socket a binary connection.

I am only going to be writing strings, with the exception of these null
bytes. Can anyone suggest a method for doing this?

Thanks
Dan