On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
<roy.mendelss...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I am in the midst of some minor revisions to my xtractomatic package, which
> up till now has only been on github.  Since ncdf4 for Windows is now
> available from CRAN  (and many thanks to whomever is responsible for that) I
> thought I would try to get it into CRAN.  Some questions:
>
> 1.  The vignette uses a lot of packages that the main code does not - I put
> those in the DESCRIPTION file, under  “Suggests”, is this correct?

Yes.

> 2. The vignette uses ggfortify, which was in CRAN for 3.2.x, but is not in
> CRAN for 3.3.x.  Do I assume then that a submission will fail, or will the
> submission work but just without the vignette?  Or can I include in the
> vignette the command to install from github  (using devtools), and then that
> will build?

You definitely do not want to install packages when running a vignette.

Given that ggfortify has been archived
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ggfortify/index.html), I'd
recommend using a different package (maybe broom?).

> 3. On a remote build, my vignette is likely to fail to build.  That is
> because the vignette downloads a large amount of data in many requests, and
> if for any reason any one of the downloads fail or times out, the vignette
> build will fail.  As above, will this cause the entire submission to fail, or
> just the vignette to fail?  And is there anyway to provide a pre-built
> vignette in the submission?

You shouldn't be downloading data in a vignette. Can you make a
separate data package that just bundles the data?

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz