On 21 November 2017 at 16:51, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| According to section 1.2.1 "Using Makevars" in Writing R Extensions,
| R_HOME/etcR_ARCH/Makeconf is included after Makevars, so what you're
| seeing is by design.  I believe this is so that packages are built with
| tools compatible with those that built R.  (Remember, packages are
| designed for distribution to diverse systems.)

Yes, now that you read it back to me slowly it makes some sense.  And that
order is also why we cannot, say, get rid of `-g` in there.

| If you happen to know how to override some of these settings in a safe
| way on your own system, then do what you did (as recommended in the R
| Admin manual, section 6.3.3.)

Yep.  My time-tested local rev.dep system does the same, I just lulled myself
into believing there was another way. But that was a mirage.

So thanks for pointing that out, freeing me to worry about other non-issues. ;-)

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org