Quoting Sigbert Klinke <sigb...@wiwi.hu-berlin.de>:

Hi,

I'am developing a package that circumvents the R package size limitation for data sets. For this I store the data set in the internet (currently GitHub) and download if it is requested.

To avoid unnecessary downloads and internet connections I create a directory in the users home directory to store the data there. However, this violates the "CRAN Repository Policy" which says

- Packages should not write in the user’s home filespace (including clipboards), nor anywhere else on the file system apart from the R session’s temporary directory (or during installation in the location pointed to by TMPDIR: and such usage should be cleaned up).

Do I have any chance to get the package to CRAN, if I submit it?

Best Sigbert

--
https://hu.berlin/sk
https://hu.berlin/mmstat3

Hi Sigbert,

there are many packages on CRAN that download data from somewhere
for their users.  They simply ask the user (or rather let the
user specify) if and where to store the data.

kind regards
    Enrico

--
Enrico Schumann