    > Exactly. Is square is just brow=ncol, is positive definite can be
    > implemented as a check that all eigenvalues > 0, which can be done with
    > base, and is.symmetric can be simply brute forced in a loop comparing i,j
    > with j,i.

    > The fewer dependencies a package has, the more robust it is. It’s a fine
    > balance between not reinventing the wheel and ceding too much stability to
    > other packages.

    > Thanks,
    > Avi

Indeed.  Further,

-  isSymmetric()  has been part of base for a long time
   so the definition of an alternative in matrixcalc  had been @_*#^$%
   It's also supported by methods in the Matrix package
   e.g. for sparse matrices etc  so definitely something you
   "should" use instead.

-  is.square() is trivial and I think an explicit check such as
   { d <- dim(x);  d[1] == d[2] }
   is often more sensical, notably as in many of your functions
   you'd need either nrow(.) or ncol(.) of your matrix anyway.

- A remark on Positive Definiteness (or also, often what you really want,
   "Positive Semi-definitness", allowing 0 eigen values):
  The  Matrix  package has an (S4) class  "dpoMatrix"
  of dense positive-definite (actually 'positive semi-definite') matrices.
  In its validation method (yes, formal classes have validation!), we
  use a cheap test instead of an expensive test with eigenvalues
  (which is "too expensive": there are faster ones at least in theory,
   e.g., trying an  LDL' Cholesky decomposition and returning as soon as
   a non-positive / negative entry in D would appear).

  The really cheap "pre-test" you may want to use  before or instead
  of doing one of the more expensive ones is simply checking the diagonal:

   if(any(diag(<matrix>)) <  0) "not positive-semidefinite"
   if(any(diag(<matrix>)) <= 0) "not positive-definite"

Martin Maechler
(Maintainer of 'Matrix').

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10208324530363130&set=ecnf.1000413042