Hi everyone,

I have a question about the DESCRIPTION file of an R package that has some c++
dependencies.

This package of mine builds c++ code during an interactive R session, but does
not contain any source c++ in itself. The c++ files make reference to some
dependencies that are made available by other third party R packages.

LinkingTo is the appropriate field for the DESCRIPTION file (usually) here, not
Imports, but if If I remove the dependencies (BH and RcppEigen) from the
Imports field, the code examples in the vignette will fail to build on a fresh
machine.

The NOTES in my build mention that, because I have no src/ directory, LinkingTo
is ignored. Simultaneously, there is another note that mentions Imports is also
excessive.

It’s kind of a catch 22. It feels like my options are either add the Imports
lines and ignore the NOTE, or add a superfluous src/ directory to silence the
NOTE. Which option is the preferred one? Or is there a third?

Best,

Taylor R. Brown, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Statistics, General Faculty
Department of Statistics
University of Virginia
        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]