On 11 August 2023 at 07:54, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
| After moving this discussion to R-SIG-Debian
| (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2023-August/thread.html),
| Dirk Eddelbuettel suggested five different approaches.
|
| I made indeed a snapshot (a local copy) of the complete "site-library"
| folder to another place of the file system (e.g.
| "site-library-snapshot"). In the .Renviron file of the shiny user, the
| environment variable R_LIBS_USER then points to this location. The base
| packages from "library" are conservative, so I decided to use them from
| the original position.
|
| Finally, an rmarkdown script provided by the shiny-server can report the
| value of .libPaths() and versions and locations of installed packages:
|
| installed.packages()[,2:3]
|
| This works well, except for a package that contained relative symbolic
| links to the file system.

Perfect, and thanks for reporting back.

One other exception would be 'bad' packages with a hard code installation
path (via rpath or install_name_tool) but luckily CRAN outlaws that so it
should be rare (but 'been there, done that' and had to fix a package or two
of mine). In short, 'should work most of the time as described here'.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org