On 7 February 2024 at 09:15, Vincent van Hees wrote:
| Thanks Ivan, In that case I will conclude that it is time to upgrade my
| Ubuntu 18 machine. I just wasn't sure whether there is still a need for
| keeping my own package Ubuntu 18 compatible, but if dependencies like Rfast
| do not do it and if it is even not in the CRAN checks anymore then there is
| also limited value in me making the effort.

I think that is a good conclusion.  A few more observations:

- for #r2u I package / build all of CRAN for Ubuntu (both 20.04 and 22.04),
  there are a handful of CRAN packages I cannot build on Ubuntu 20.04 (!!!)
  because they use C++20 which the default compiler on 20.04 does not support

- in my dayjob (also behind one large CRAN package I maintain) we had to move
  all CI jobs from 20.04 to 22.04 for the same reason. I think this will me
  more, not less, common.

- your premise in your initial email was not quite supported by either
  "Writing R Extensions" nor the "CRAN Repository Policy": Neither stipulates
  a minimum 'old' environment.

FWIW I am a fairly happy camper with 22.04 for deployment, 23.10 for my use
and will likely move to 22.04 fairly soon this summer after it is released.

Cheers, Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org