Kevin,

welcome to the S4 world! ;) There is really no good solution since S4 only
works at all if you attach the package since it relies on replacing the base S3
generic with its own - so the question remains what are your options to do it.

The most obvious is to simply add Depends: Rgraphviz which makes sure that any
generics required are attached so your package doesn't need to worry. This is
the most reliable in a way as you are not limiting the functionality to methods
you know about. The side-effect, though, (beside exposing functions the user
may not care about) is that such package cannot be on CRAN since Rgraphics is
not on CRAN (that said, you mentioned you are already importing then you seem
not to worry about that).

The next option is to simply ignore Rgraphviz and instead add
setGeneric("plot") to your package and add methods to Depends and
importFrom(methods, setGeneric) + exportMethods(plot) to the namespace. This
allows you to forget about any dependencies - you are just creating the S4
generic from base::plot to make the dispatch work. This is the most
light-weight solution as you only cherry-pick methods you need and there are no
dependencies other than "methods". However, it is limited to just the functions
you care about.

Finally, you could re-export the S4 plot generic from Rgraphviz, but I'd say
that is the least sensible option, since it doesn't have any benefit over doing
it yourself and only adds a hard dependency for no good reason. Also copying
functions from another package opens up a can of worms with versions etc. -
even if the risk is likely minimal.

Just for completeness - a really sneaky way would be to export an S3 plot
method from your package - it would be only called in the case where the plot
generic has not been replaced yet, so you could "fix" things on the fly by
calling the generic from Rgraphviz, but that sounds a little hacky even for my
taste ;).

Cheers,
Simon