On 7 June 2023 at 08:37, Johan Andresen wrote:
| I can understand why it changes the game.
|

|     It would be sweet if we could do something like r2u for Debian, but for
now
|     we can't.  Switching between Debian and Ubuntu is not that onerous though.
|

| Do you mind clarifying what you do here? Do you operate Ubuntu when working in
| R? Or do you somehow operate Ubuntu to manage R packages and dependencies, and
| then switch back into Debian to carry out the R work? And what is required on
| Debian for something like this to function, and what are the prospects (next
| stable or longer)?

If you look (carefully) at the r2u docs (and maybe code) you will likely
understand what it does and how. In order to do exactly that for Debian it
would need ingredients that are not provided. No more, no less.

r2u was effectively cooked up by my in two weekends as a first test, and then
extended. (Arguably after spending 20 years laying groundwork and having code
infrastructure for Debian packaging and package creation from R as myself and
others had done three to four prior incantations.) It also relies on existing
binaries (from RSPM/PPM) which simply do not exist for Debian. All that said
it is of course possible for another motivated volunteer (or group of people)
to fill in (all) gaps to make it happen on Debian. I am just saying it likely
won't be me as I am busy enough with the projects I have ... and more than
happy enough with the outsomes such as r2u on Ubuntu.

Hth, Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org