Hi,

I am running a couple of shiny servers with several apps that are based around own CRAN packages. It worked stable for years, but due to the growing number of packages, the compile time for regular manual package installation and updates became inconvenient.

Therefore, I have been very happy to use pre-compiled packages from the c2d4u repository -- and from now on testing r2u following a hint from Dirk Edelbuettel. @Dirk: installation worked like a charm.

The downside is, that the r-cran-* binaries are being installed automatically, together with the system update. So experienced repeated cases that crashed some of the shiny apps. The main reason with c2d4u were conflicts between the binary packages and other packages installed from sources. This may be less relevant with r2u, but in the interest of reproducibility and stability, I would prefer conservative manual updates.

My question: what is best practise, to disallow automatic updates for all (or part of) r-cran-* packages? Uncommenting the complete package source in the apt/sources.list.d/cd4u...list file? Fiddling around with /etc/apt/preferences ?

The ideal approach would be to put a plain textfile of all installed r-cran packages somewhere to the system, where packages that are to be upgraded (or oppositely: pinned) are just commented or outcommented.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Links:

https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/c2d4u.team/c2d4u4.0+/ubuntu/