Hi Brent,

On 15 February 2024 at 10:14, Brent G Ewing wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I want to build a Docker container with R and various R packages built and
| installed with the gcc address sanitizer enabled. I am working on a Debian
| Bookworm system running on an x86_64 architecture.
|
| I start with the Docker file at
|
| https://github.com/rocker-org/r-devel-san/blob/master/Dockerfile

That container has been building weekly quite reliably for a few years now.
The variant at  https://github.com/rocker-org/r-devel-san-clang  was dormant
for a while (first an error during R package build, later a missing package)
and was just resurrected and builds again.

And then there is of course Winston's 'sumo' container with several builds
layerd into one. I use that too:  https://github.com/wch/r-debug

| I added -fsanitize=address to compiler and linker variables in the
| Dockerfile. I also import into the image a Makevars file with the contents
|
| CC=gcc -std=gnu99 -fsanitize=address -fno-omit-frame-pointer
| CXX=g++ -fsanitize=address -fno-omit-frame-pointer
| FC=gfortran -fsanitize=address
| LDFLAGS=-fsanitize=address

Sure -- but I found this finicky in the past: certain combinations lead to
cases that did not build or errored. So I recommend following the set that
Brian Ripley has at https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/memtests/README.txt

| Finally, the Docker file installs additional Debian object libraries and R
| packages that I want to test.
|
| When the package build gets to testing whether the package can be
| installed, an error message appears saying
|
| ==ASan runtime does not come first in initial library list; you should
| either link runtime to your application or manually preload it with
| LD_PRELOAD.
|
| For example,
|
| ESC[0mESC[91m** building package indices
| ESC[0mESC[91m** installing vignettes
| ESC[0mESC[91m** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary
| location
| ESC[0m==684==ASan runtime does not come first in initial library list; you
| should either link runtime to your application or manually preload it with
| LD_PRELOAD.
| ESC[91mERROR: loading failed
| ESC[0mESC[91m* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/utf8’
| ESC[0mESC[91m* installing *source* package ‘isoband’ ...
| ESC[0mESC[91m** package ‘isoband’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
| ESC[0mESC[91m** using staged installation
| ESC[0mESC[91m** libs
|
| I've tried preloading various libasan.so files that I find on the system
| but the loader says that it cannot load them.

Maybe try removing 'address' and see what happens?

| My questions are
|
| 1. is it possible to build and install R and packages (in a container) with
| the gcc address sanitizer enabled?

Yes. The two Docker contains show how to.

| 2. if it is, how do I do it?

Follow the container recipe?  Use the container?  Eg I just pulled up the
rocker/r-devel-san, giving 'bash' as the command / entry point, and (having
mounted my local directory too) said 'RD CMD INSTALL digest_0.6.34.tar.gz'.

That install the package under the instrumented R(-devel) version. Tests
should now use SAN.  I have fixed bugs that way.

| 3. is this ld_preload message relevant? If so, to which file does it refer?
| Is there an ASAN runtime library file that I need to specify, and if so,
| what is the path to it?

I think it is relevant but you must have ended up with a non-working
combination.

I no longer recall why I removed 'address'. It may have been something like
this, or something else. `git blame` tells me I did so in 2018. It's been a
while.

As I said, these things _are_ finicky. So I recommend

 - starting from a known working container (see above)

 - establish a baseline by testing a package which has a _known_ true positive

 - for which I wrote a package:   https://cran.r-project.org/package=sanitizers

 - given the baseline make the mods you want to make and re-test you still
   get the true positive

Hope this helps,  Dirk

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org