On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, brwin...@aol.com wrote:

Good Evening:
I have been trying to figure this one out but just can't make it work yet.

Is there a straightforward way to convert a grid object (such as an earthwide or regional long-lat grid) generated using sp into a spatial polygon object that I could then export as a shapefile. I want to be able to use the maptools overlay function to assign locations to a grid and then color each grid area based upon mean or other characteristics of the locations within each grid. I also want to create a shapefile with attributes from each polygon saved in the @data component. Please excuse me if this is a simple problem or has been addressed previously by the list but I have not been able to find an answer in previous posts.

Have you considered coercing to SpatialPixels, then to SpatialPolygons: as(as(grd, "SpatialPixels"), "SpatialPolygons")?

gt <- GridTopology(c(-177.5, -87.5), c(5, 5), c(72, 36))
grd <- SpatialGrid(gt, proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat"))
spix <- as(grd, "SpatialPixels")
spol <- as(spix, "SpatialPolygons")

Whether the sp package overlay methods will be more efficient on which representation is a question that needs addressing. Then something like:

pts <- spsample(grd, n=50000, type="random")
spts <- SpatialPointsDataFrame(pts, data=data.frame(x=rnorm(50000)))
o <- overlay(spol, spts)
spdf <- SpatialPolygonsDataFrame(spol, data=data.frame(id=row.names(spol),
  row.names=row.names(spol)))
spdf$xbar <- aggregate(spts$x, list(o), mean)$x
spplot(spdf, "xbar")

but you might just as well use the SpatialGrid* or SpatialPixels* representation, maybe?

Hope this helps,

Roger

Joe

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]