Carl,

On Dec 9, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> I have two separate questions about help windows.
>
> First:  I'm running R2.12 at home under 10.5.8, and at work under 10.6.4
> (Intel iMacs in both cases).
>
> At home, when I invoke help, e.g.,
> >  ?sin ,
> I get the help page in the Rgui help window (and my web browser is not
> called).
>
> But at work, the Rgui help window opens, remains blank, and the sin help page
> shows up in my default web browser.
>
> Is there a way I can either force my work machine to use the Rgui window, or
> at the least stop the useless help window from opening up?

The default is what you see at home - and that is the intended behavior.

There is a preference "use.external.help" that allows you to use an external
browser (at the request of some users) - you can enable it using (in Terminal):
defaults write org.R-project.R use.external.help YES

and disable it using
defaults delete org.R-project.R use.external.help

So chances are that you enabled it at some point in the past (maybe?) - it's
definitely NOT the default.

Alternatively (if that's not the issue?) it may be some strange setting of your
browser - but you'd have to provide more detains on that (e.g. do you use a
custom browser instead of Safari which may be forcing that behavior?).

Cheers,
Simon