Hey Simon!

Thanks a lot for the really quick update. I installed the package from source
and now works perfectly, builds and can be use in R with other packages, like
xlsx.

I configured java without invoking root privileges.

I know that the Homebrew users are more or less in our own, but I think there
is nothing wrong in ask since probably the problem isn’t cause by the Homebrew
install. Finally, Homebrew is just a way to install R from source.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your help!

Best Regards
Luis Puerto
http://luisspuerto.net