On 29/09/2020 12:27, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
To use veclib you need
    --with-blas="-framework Accelerate"

Details are in the R-admin manual, including that R fails one of its checks.

Simon's calling this vecLib is a bit misleading. 'vecLib' was a vectorized library for PPC Macs, and the name lives on for a small part of the Accelerate framework. The part that supplies an enhanced BLAS is different, and is based on ATLAS for x86_64 CPUs.

Incidentally, on the configuration issue -- had you followed the posting guide and either read the current manual or tried R-patched you would not have encountered the problem (which AFAWK is very recent, from the Command Line Tools for Xcode 12, released only for rather recent versions of Catalina and pre-Big Sur about 10 days ago). Now documented at

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-12-release-notes