Adrian's comment reminded me of a post from Simon on Feb 8:

Apparently there is a bug in Ventura that prevents software installation from the
Downloads folder. Once the installer package is moved someplace else - the home or
Desktop - it works. So if you see "Installation failed", make sure you move the
package (typically that would be the R-4.2.2-arm64.pkg file) out of the Downloads folder.
(Thanks to Max for sending the installer log so we could trace the cause!).

Cheers,
Simon