On 01/08/2023 00:27, John Fox wrote:
Hello Simon,

Actually the Rcmdr *does* import (and use) the tcltk2 package, but I've had no other report of this kind of problem and haven't observed it myself.

Best,
  John

A possible clue. tclrk2 on Linux used to do something very similar (including the infinite loop) if the X server had died but the DISPLAY variable was set.

So I would investigate the XQuartz installation, maybe starting with a precautionary re-install of the latest non-beta version (currently 2.8.5). Then check package tcltk works correctly.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk