From: Simon Urbanek <simon.urba...@r-project.org>
Date: Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 1:18 PM
To: Smith, Desmond <dsm...@mednet.ucla.edu>
Cc: r-sig-mac@r-project.org <r-sig-mac@r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] How can I stop my R console and other R windows
"flickering" after I updated my Mac OS to Sonoma 14.0?
CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL:Do not click links or open attachments unless you
recognize the sender.

Desmond,

thanks for the report. There seem to be windows focus issue in Sonoma so I
would not recommend upgrading at this point. Hopefully this will be fixed in a
future macOS update (the .0 versions are notoriously flaky) - in the meantime
I'll see if there is any work-around we could do in R.

Cheers,
Simon

> On Oct 1, 2023, at 5:46 AM, Smith, Desmond <dsm...@mednet.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I updated my Apple Silicon M1 Pro MacBook from Ventura to Sonoma 14.0. I have
> the latest version of R for Apple Silicon (4.3.1, "Beagle Scouts"). I also
> have the latest version of XQuartz (2.8.5).
>
> On Ventura, my R setup worked fine ("classic" R.app GUI using console and
> script windows, not Rstudio or terminal). However, with Sonoma, when I try
> and toggle between the R console and an R script, the windows transition at
> very high speed between each other, making it nearly impossible to select
> either the console or the script.
>
> This "flickering" phenomenon lasts for ~ 10-15 seconds each time I change
> windows between console and script, making the software nearly unusable.
> Changing the screen refresh rate does not help.
>
> The problem is specific for R.app and does not affect other software.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received. I have also posted this question to
> stackoverflow.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Desmond Smith
>

> ________________________________
>
> UCLA HEALTH SCIENCES IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is
> only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed,
> and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the
> recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential
> manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may
> subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this
> message from your computer.

>  [stat[.]ethz[.]ch]

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]