Yes, that was it.  Thanks!

Duncan

On 19/02/2024 4:28 a.m., peter dalgaard wrote:
I have the same setup, and not seeing this. That is, _unless_ I try from a
shell running in a deleted diretory:

Peters-iMac:BUILD-dist pd$  R CMD INSTALL --help
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory

(because BUILD-dist is wiped and re-created by the automatic builds, but the
shell still refers to the unlinked directory.)

-pd

I wanted to see the options to R CMD INSTALL, and was surprised to see this
output:

$ R CMD INSTALL --help
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted
Error in tools:::.install_packages() :
  current working directory cannot be ascertained
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Operation not permitted

I installed R from CRAN, and am not running the current version:  I'm still on
4.3.1, with OS also kind of old:  Monterey 12.7.3, so I was surprised by this.
Is anyone else seeing it?

Duncan Murdoch