Hi Andrew,

Andrew Barr wrote on 24/05/2011 22:25:
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to specify the line type for a polytomy
using plot.phylo().  If I read in an example tree and plot it while
specifying a single value for the argument edge.lty, the function
automatically takes care of the polytomy "edge" (i.e. the vertical
line).

##plot using single value for lty
read.tree(text="(rat,mouse,(human,chimp));")->mytree
plot(mytree,edge.lty=4)
##

However, for my real data, I need to specify a vector of edge.lty
values, in order to code the edges based on character values.  In this
case, I can't specify a line type for the polytomy, because it isn't
an edge!

Correct.

##plot using vector of same length as mytree$edge
plot(mytree,edge.lty=c(3,5,4,4,4))
#

Note that the vertical line for the polytomy defaults to a solid line
(lty=1).  Any ideas how to change that?

Not for this type of tree, but why not use type = "c"? If your tree has no branch lengths, the appearance as nice as the default type = "p".

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Thanks you,

Andrew Barr