Hi Nicolai,

Nicolai Cryer wrote on 06/01/2012 01:14:
Hi all,

I am under the impression that, given two continuous variables that can be
shown (Pagel's Lambda or Gittleman&  Kot's autocorrelation) to be dependent
on phylogeny, calling gls(variable1 ~ variable 2, correlation = corStruct)
returns a regression on derived variables that have been transformed given
the known correlation structure (under some evolutionary model).

Yes, your impression is correct: these are the phylogenetically independent contrasts.

My question is: is there any point to plotting a regression on this
internally transformed data?

Yes, see ?pic.

I have some continuous variables that are quite meaningful, but when I
manually perform the transformation I get values that are meaninglessly
high (like a forearm length of 1,2 meters, compared to 6,5 centimeters
originally).

I might be doing the manual transformation the wrong way, in which case I'd
appreciate a comment.

I guess you want to ask a quite different question that is: given the phenotypes for species 1, species 2, ..., what would be the phenotype of species 2 if it were /not/ evolved from a common ancestor with species 1? I think it's a more complicated issue that cannot be solved with a simple back-transformation.

Best,

Emmanuel

For variables X and Y

varmatrix<- vcv.phylo(phy = tree, correlation = corGrafen(1, tree))
transmatrix<- chol(varmatrix)

X.transformed<- transmatrix %*% X
Y.transformed<- transmatrix %*% Y
mylm<- lm(Y ~ X)
plot(Y ~ X)
abline(coef(mylm))

The resulting estimates are different than from a normal gls, gls(y ~ x,
correlation = corGrafen(1, tree)), so I would be happy to know what it is
I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,

Best,

NC