Hi Dan,

This is indeed an issue. I had the opportunity a few months ago to get the outputs from r8s and chronopl on the same data: this showed some difficulties with r8s, namely the starting and final values of the PL were identical.

I'm currently working on chronopl because it fails to find decent starting values when several nodes are defined within intervals (it's looping endlessly). I've more or less solved this problem and this should be fixed in ape 3.0.

I admit that chronopl has some weaknesses. I can see three explanations (all non-exclusive):

1) The implemantation in chronopl is flawed in which case it can be fixed.

2) The model of correlated rates is not appropriate in most cases. I remember to have seen a paper stating that the relaxed clock model (without correlation of rates) better fits real data.

3) The problem of optimizing a function of so many parameters is too difficult for the currently used algorithm in which case a Bayesian approach might be more appropriate, or using a better optimization algorithm.

Cheers,

Emmanuel