Rafa Braga asked

> Does anybody know how to detect association between two traits while removing
> the influence of the third one? I have three traits which are named a b and
> c. I'm wanting to test the correlation of a and b while controling c as a
> covariate. In other words, the correlation between trait a and b can be a
> result of the correlation between b and c and I'm wanting to remove the
> influence of c on b.

This goes all the way back 100 years.

Once you have inferred the variances and covariances of
the three traits, you can compute the partial correlation
between  a  and  b.

This is defined as the correlation between the residual
of  a  when predicted by  c,  and the residual of  b  when
predicted by  c.

When there is only one variable  c,   and when
r(a,b)  is the correlation of  a  with  b, then the
partial correlation is

[ r(a,b) - r(a,c) r(b,c)] / [(sqrt(1 - r(a,c)^2) sqrt(1 - r(b,c)^2)]

For likelihood ratio testing in a linear model,
one could compare the likelihoods of models
that did or did not have direct connection of
a  and  b.  RA Fisher also derived a distribution
of the partial correlation coefficient.

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu