Hi Joe,

I'd say this issue is related to these particular data: there are four states
so the ARD model has 12 parameters which is quite a lot considering that one
state ('3') is overwhelming represented in the data. If you simulate data with
two states, then the ARD model has only 2 parameters and the fit converges most
of the times.

Best,

Emmanuel