Hi Russell ,

It can happen that PGLS models have difficulties to fit to the data when there
is a free parameter in the correlation structure. This is the case of
corMartins and corPagel. A way around is to set 'fixed = TRUE' when creating
these correlation structures which has the effect of taking the value given to
the argument of the same name as fixed. You may then try different values and
avoid the error you observed.

HTH
Best,

Emmanuel