Dear Emmanuel,

Thank you very much for your response. I cannot see how to provide the
substitution rate to the phangorn::pml_bb() function, but I was looking at
the ape::node.dating() function and it appears that I could provide the
substitution rate to the "mu" argument and then set the "node.dates"
argument to NA or zero for all tips (I'm not sure if NA or zero would be
preferable to force the tips to all be from a single time point). Do you
think that would work? I'm not sure how to make ape::node.dating() accept a
substitution rate rather than try to estimate one. Maybe an option could be
added to allow mu to equal a user-specified number rather than the output
of ape::estimate.mu()?

Another option might be to calculate an estimated age for every node
connecting sister taxa in the tree by converting the genetic distances
between sister pairs to divergence times using the substitution rate and
then use those as priors in ape::chronos(). I suppose I could also apply
that logic to date all of the nodes by using the mean pairwise distances
between taxa on either side of a node and converting that to divergence
times (although the R code for such a calculation would likely take me a
while to figure out). Would that be another option?

Thanks again,

Vincenzo