Abe,

I'd gladly send you some bucks for material, shipping etc to try it out.
I'm trying to get hot on this stuff with one bike to sell and one bike to
build.
And I've been on the fence about which shifters to lose on the bike for
sale and what to keep.
This/these could influence my decision.
Please send me a private message with your paypal etc. if you are inclined.

Here is some copy and paste (can use to find the actual thread) where I got
that Shimano 600 lever bit of info:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter Trasko
6/8/17
Resurrecting an old thread, but I made a chance discovery that may be of
interest to the group.
One limitation of friction-shifted 10 and 11 speed bikes has been the throw
length of bar-end shifters. Some people have gotten around this problem
with judicious filing of the bar-end pods, like Ultraromance did here with
this amazing ride.
I'm here to tell you that this filing isn't necessary.
I mounted late-model Shimano 600 downtube shifters (these ones) on generic
Shimano bar-end pods. These shifters, on these pods, will pull through a
full 180 degrees. On a 10 speed cassette they move a little over 90
degrees. I haven't tried 11 (or 12), but I guarantee that it will work. How
do I know? With the chain removed and the derailler limits backed all the
way out, the shifter will easily pull the derailler into the wheel and
beyond. These shifters are also truly "light action", in that you can
easily move them by tiny increments. With 10 speed you just never miss a
shift.
Hope this helps! I'm friction shifting a mega-wide-range system of various
parts and just loving it. In the rear I have a 10-speed 11-42 cassette. In
the front I use a SunXCD 26-46 double. Altogether I can pull my kid trailer
up alpine passes (I live in Switzerland) and my top speed is about 40km/hr
- which I can only reach on steep descents. I have the range I need!

Good stuff.
-Matthew