Caroline,
If you recently had the chain and cassette replace, then your problems with
the chain dropping may be because the chainring is worn. Most chainrings
are aluminum, which wears faster than steel cogs. And since the same
chainring is used for all riding while the cogs are changed by shifting,
the wear is more concentrated on the chainring. Both of these lead to
chainrings wiring out faster than cogs, and a worn chainring will not hold
the chain securely. This can act in combination with problems others hav
suggested here - especially bent detailer hanger and too-slack chain - to
drop the chain off the chainring.
-Wes