The two wrenches are to hold one nut still while turning the other, like
when serving loose bearing hubs. Most (all?) threaded headsets use a keyed
washer between the nuts to prevent one from turning the other, so there's
no need for two wrenches. If you want to travel with a bike with threaded
headset, it is worth using a sealed-bearing headset. For one, you can't
lose some of the balls, and for another the preload adjustment is much less
sensitive.