Hi Cat,
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. The last time this happened to me, I
futzed with it for too long before giving up and replacing the cassette,
chain rings, and chain all together. That solved it. Just for the record:
you have replaced the cracked rim, yes?

As for 1x, in my opinion you should keep the front derailer. Maybe just
don't shift the front for a while (until you're satisfied that everything
is working properly at the back).
-Wes