In fact, I think it was Grant (or maybe Sheldon Brown?) who turned me onto
the idea that wide tires are great, especially when they're NOT knobby. For
the past 15 years, it's been Panaracer Paselas for my road bike and
Schwalbe Big Apple/Fat Frank for my commute/errand bike. The idea that
there are noticeable gains to be had from tubeless or RH tires seems like
pure hype to me, but I may be wrong. Certainly the Schwalbe tires are crazy
heavy and that must affect my acceleration. But once I'm up to speed, I
doubt it matters.
-Wes