When I was using a monocog 29er as my winter bike, I had a triple speed:
three cogs, three chainrings (the third, lowest gear was used for maximum
torque to drive through deep snow without bogging down) . All three combos
added up to the same total teeth but the change in angles was enough that I
usually had to adjust the wheel in the dropout when changing gears. It
worked fine with the disc brakes.
-W