Pain is an obvious sign that something is wrong. And I think that's one
reason why it's easy to tell when a saddle ISN'T a fit. But what feels
right can be so subjective.

Obviously Riv and Grant are big proponents of Brooks. I've had several
Brooks saddles, and not every one feels the same. I've had B17s that were
stiff as a board despite many years and miles of riding, and then more
recently the B68 that I got with my Appaloosa that felt broken in from the
first ride. With saddles, like anything else on a bike, YMMV. Despite the
variety of experiences I've had with Brooks saddles, I've felt they were
all comfortable in their own way. The key for me has been finding the
positioning that works for a particular saddle on a particular bike. Moving
it little by little to find the sweet spot. If I feel myself sliding up the
nose as I pedal, I consider tilting the nose upward a little. If my knees
feel out of plumb with my cranks, I shift it forward or aft a hair to find
a position that works better. It's kind of like dialing in tire pressure.
Just keep fiddling with it until you find what works for you and the kind
of riding you do.

Any kind of pain, especially lingering pain (like ongoing numbness
post-ride or a persistent nerve twinge, for example) is an indication that
the saddle or its positioning isn't working for you. Normal pain that's
derived from effort, howeve, is to be expected with any saddle. Riding a
bike is never a pain-free activity in that sense. Using your muscles,
putting pressure on your wrists, feet, and sit bones is going to cause some
discomfort. One thing that helped me a ton is realizing that no bike rider
(pro, enthusiast, or regular fella like me) is ever riding for any
significant distance without changing up their posture. Moving around on
the bike is normal. Shifting weight, pedaling while standing, moving hand
positions--all these things can affect how a saddle feels for me.
Especially, like you say, when the distance is over 20 miles or more. Butt
toughness also tends to build up for me over the season. I'm always a
little sore after not riding for a while. If I've been riding a lot lately,
I can do more miles without a sore tush.

Don't know if any of that helps at all, but hopefully it gives you
something to think about. I'm curious about others' experiences.