The roller set up doesn’t really reduce friction as the cable rubs the
roller and the roller turns as well.  The roller guide often moves and
causes cable issues if you’re not careful moving the bike or loading a
rack. The first set up (blue bike) should work better as long as you don’t
make the cable loop too tight. Use Teflon lined housing, stainless cables,
and a drop of light oil, and you’ll be good to go.