The Sam is certainly a good option.
But I'd be interested in why you didn't enjoy the
>> 1985 Trek 620
which many would consider a grail bike.

If the complaint was "too noodley with a load", step right up to a Sam or
heavier.
If it's "too stiff and dead-feeling" then maybe a Roadini -- or maybe Rivs
aren't for you, given how conservative they are with tube strength.

Also the Rivendell top tubes tend to be long, to accomodate upright
handlebars. If you prefer drop bars and you felt "stretched" on the 620,
that's going to be difficult.

I like what you said about wanting a bike for riding, not wrenching, but
it's difficult when you can't try the specific models.
If you give us more information, the swarm may be able to help ;)

cheers -mathias