On Monday, April 15, 2024 at 8:27:21 PM UTC-5 ber...@bernardduhon.com wrote:

11 speeds makes for better friction shifting.

What has been your experience?

Like others, I have had mixed experience. A few observations -
1. On a very springy frame, derailer cables get yanked when you push hard
on the pedals. I have a Terraferma that's so flexible even I can make it
swing. I currently have some Cyclone derailers and Silver 1 shifters on
that bike, with a 9-speed cassette, and there's no way I could tighten the
shifters enough to keep it from ghost shifting if I do an out-of-the-saddle
stoplight sprint. Other than that, it's a nice, smooth-shifting experience.
It can be a little tricky to quiet the rear derailer when a cog is between
clicks of the shifter. Which leads to ...
2. The reduction in derailer actuation (the ratio of derailer movement to
cable movement) has been driven by the desire to have more cable movement
per cog, to improve index shifting. The same effect can be felt with
friction shifting, especially with shifters that use a micro-ratchet
mechanism (like Silver). If the derailer requires only a small amount of
cable movement to shift one cog, I find that the shifter can be between
clicks, requiring one extra click then a slight shove forward. This gets
pretty fiddly and would certainly be annoying if you're riding with the
carbon folks or are oxygen deprived at 13k feet. Which leads to ...
3. The Simplex retrofriction bar-end shifters are absolutely perfect for
shifting SRAM "exact actuation" (1.30 derailer actuation) derailers over
10-11 speed cassettes. The 1.30 derailer actuation requires a fair amount
of cable pull, and the Simplex bar-ends pull a lot of cable. Being
retrofriction instead of ratchets, you never have the problem of being
between clicks. Don't go putting Simplex retrofriction downtube levers on
your bike and think you'll get the same experience, though. The downtube
levers pull much less cable.

Bottom line ... you have to match your friction levers to your derailer and
cog count combo if you want a system that works without a lot of fiddling.
Not that fiddling is bad, necessarily. But you also should feel free to
decide that indexing is better for your style of riding.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA