I know that this list could not care less about hub gears, but I'm chuffed,
as they say. I got a  used but still vg (per the seller with high rating;
must disassemble and see for myself; has 50 or 60 years of dried lubricant
inside) Holy Grail of hub gears, a 1950 ASC, missing proprietary shifter,
but with the sole other SA shifter that can be modified (and may have been
modified already; have question in to seller) for the peculiar cable pull
required by this hub.

It is a backup/eventual parts donor for the NOS one currently in use in the
Matthews Riv Road errand clone that was modified by Aaron in Seattle with a
modern, 32-hole aluminum shell (with properly modern thick flanges!) and
threaded driver (instead of proprietary 12-spline driver for very rare 1/8"
proprietary SA cogs) for either Surly fixed cog (currently 17 t 3/32") or
ss freewheel. I've been riding this hub instead of the earlier AM because
it has better ratios: direct/high/3rd, 90%/underdrive/2nd, and
75%/underdrive/1st, for 72"/65"/54" instead of the AM's freewheel 75"/115%
overdrive/third, 65" direct/second, and 56" 86.54%/underdrive/first. The
3rd-2nd gap is better on the ASC.

And it's all silver! With aluminum shell.

Just made a short but very pleasant detoured grocery run, carrying home 39
lb in front and rear Ortlieb roll-tops.

I know you don't care, but I do and I had to crow.

Over and out.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*