On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 8:23 PM Jay <jason.bike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... I measure setback on both bikes and the Fargo is coming out as saddle
> 5.5cm setback from BB, 7cm on the Roadini.

There's the reason for the difference. I've always (well, since Grant
taught me to do this 30 years ago) started assembly and fit with saddle
height, setback, and angle, then, after getting the saddle in place, put
the bar a more or less standard distance from and height below the saddle
nose. I do modify  bar reach and height for bikes used off road but my body
position is much the same on all my bikes even if my bar is higher but
further forward.

Sometimes a more reward position can be *more comfortable* because it takes
weight off your shoulders, etc, because when butt-back and bent forward
sufficiently your torso muscles carry more of the weight.

Of course, you have to decide what a good setback is for comfort (including
weight off your shoulders, arms, and hands) and power and handling -- also,
how you'll use the bike: see below -- but in my case bb setback is about
the same for all my bikes.

Peter Jon White has an excellent article on bike setup starting with saddle
setback: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.php

... Now we get to what I think is the most important part of fitting a
bicycle, the fore-aft position of the saddle. Once you get this right,
everything else is easy. This position is determined more by how you intend
to use your bike than by anything else. If you look at a typical bike, the
saddle is behind the crank center, or bottom bracket. There's a frame tube
(the seat tube) running from the cranks to the saddle, and it's at an
angle. That angle partly determines the fore-aft position of the saddle
relative to the cranks and pedals. That fore-aft position determines how
your body is balanced on the bicycle. Your balance determines how
comfortable you are, and how efficiently you can pedal the bike.