The draft-ietf-jsonpath-base GitHub project includes some Ruby code to test JSONPath expressions against the defined syntax.

But I don't know Ruby.

Maybe a Ruby programmer in this WG  could hopefully find out and test a JSONPath expression compliant with the jsonpath-base syntax and able to select an entity with a given role without assuming that the role is in the first position of the roles array.

Best,

Mario