Hi

On 16 October 2019 00:19:24 BST, dllud <dl...@riseup.net> wrote:
>Hi Fil,
>
>If I remember correctly Signal uses Google Cloud Messaging or other
>similar Google service for push messages. Thus it depends on the
>non-free Google Play services. That's the reason why it isn't available
>on F-Droid.

I'm not sure that is right. I think that it has been possible to use Signal
without Google Play Services for the last couple of years:
https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/commit/1669731329bcc32c84e33035a67a2fc22444c24b

An old comment from moxie about why he doesn't distribute on fdroid is here:
https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/issues/281#issuecomment-21762482

That is now a bit out of date, AIUI, and the non-Google APK is available on the
site (might be here: https://signal.org/android/apk/ ) though I've always used
the Play version. Not sure if updates are solved in that version.

Kind regards,

Aaron